Every Friday throughout the summer of 2014, the Wells College Department of Athletics website will look back at the "year that was". Starting with field hockey on Friday, May 16, a comprehensive "season in review" for each of Wells' 14 NCAA Division III varsity sports will be posted, giving fans not only a look back but also a look forward to the upcoming season of play.
The Wells College men's soccer team completed their best season to date in 2013, racking up eight victories while narrowly missing out on their first North Eastern Athletic Conference postseason berth in four years. Not only did their eight wins tie a program record set last season, the Express lost the fewest games in team history (four) and received regional recognition with their first appearance in a coaches' poll.
POSTSEASON AWARD WINNERS
|MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
- PULLING RANK: For the first time in program history, the Wells College men's soccer team earned a top-10 ranking in the NSCAA/Continental Tire NCAA Division III Men's East Region Poll in their first five contests. The Express, sporting a 4-0-1 record, were off to their best start in program history. Wells entered the poll in its third week tied for 10th place alongside fellow North Eastern Athletic Conference-rival SUNY Institute of Technology. No other men's soccer team at Wells has earned a regional ranking since the program was instituted in 2006. For more information, click here.
- FANTASTIC FOUR: A program record four players from the Wells College men's soccer team were selected to North Eastern Athletic Conference All-Conference teams following the season. Senior defenseman Pat O'Callaghan (Selden, N.Y.) earned First Team All-Conference honors while goalkeeper C.J. Bayly (Waymart, Pa.) was selected to the conference's Second Team. Senior Adam Sullivan (Ithaca, N.Y.) and sophomore Max Cherry (Ridgewood, N.J.) each were tabbed as Third Team All-Conference for their performances in 2013. The previous program record for All-Conference winners in one season was two players. For more information, click here.
- BEAST OF THE EAST: O'Callaghan was tabbed as a 2013 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)/Continental Tire NCAA Division III Men's Third Team All-East Region player for his performance with the Wells College men's soccer team in 2013. In only his second season as a full-time defender, O'Callaghan becomes only the second student-athlete in team history to earn such recognition from the NSCAA. Delroy Roberts, who wrapped up his men's soccer career with the Express in 2011, captured Third Team All-East Region recognition as a junior and as a senior. For more information, click here.
- STAY CLASSY, AURORA: The Wells College men's soccer team was one of only two NCAA Division III men's programs to earn Gold or Silver placement on the 2013 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Team Ethics and Sportsmanship Award list, the organization announced Thursday. The awards recognize teams that exhibit fair play, sporting behavior and adherence to the laws of the game, as reflected by the number of yellow caution cards or red ejection cards they are shown by referees throughout the season.
The Express, who picked up the organization's Silver Award, collected only collecting five bookings across their 16 game schedule. Wells became the first North Eastern Athletic Conference men's soccer program to collect five or fewer infractions on the season since the men's soccer team at Baptist Bible College recorded only three yellow cards in 19 games during the 2006 season. In total, only five men's soccer programs earned the Silver Award. A total of 13 teams earned Silver and Bronze Award recognition – no men's soccer teams qualified for the Gold Award. For more information, click here.
- FREQUENT FLYER: Following his playing career, O'Callaghan has earned placement on the USA Sports Tours and Events Division III Men's Soccer team. O'Callaghan will join a squad of All-American, All-Region and All-Conference players from around the country as they travel to Brazil this summer to compete in several exhibition contests. Across the trip, O'Callaghan and the team will face-off against the top U-22 club teams from the region. For more information, click here.
SEASON RECAP VIDEO
2013 VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS